By Murray Newlands on April 17th, 2012 | 242241 comment on this postSocial+media+marketing+and+social-networking+tips+from+Foursquare+Day2012-04-17+11%3A46%3A30Murray+Newlandshttp%3A%2F%2Fsmartblogs.com%2F%3Fp%3D24224
Since 2010, Foursquare has celebrated 4sqDay on April 16, because 16 is 4 squared, and April is the fourth month of the Gregorian calendar. As part of 4sqDay, companies worldwide promote Foursquare by giving additional discounts on top of what they already give to Foursquare users. For example, two years ago, McDonald’s ran a contest for Foursquare users April 16. Each person who used Foursquare and bought food had a chance to win a $5 or $10 gift card. The company said the promotion caused foot traffic to increase 33% that day. In this “Future of Engagement” episode, host Murray Newlands analyzes Foursquare’s social media marketing campaign and gives tips that businesses and marketers can use to market on social networks.
What can brands learn?
- Make customers feel appreciated.
- Build a community of fans — they’ll be able promote your product for you.
- Especially if your product has uses online and offline, the way Foursquare does.
Image credit: Social media monitoring tool Alerti
- Andy’s Answers: 3 inspiring ways brands respond to customer complaints in social media
- The power of location: Why Foursquare should be part of your digital-marketing strategy
- Are you making it easy for fans to share your story?
- What will it take to put social business-discovery tools on the map?
- Andy’s Answers: How GE turns focused connections into big impressions