By Merritt Colaizzi on March 25th, 2010 | 90875 comments on this postIs+social+media+driving+mobile+ahead%3F2010-03-25+13%3A21%3A39Merritt+Colaizzihttp%3A%2F%2Fsmartblogs.com%2Fsocialmedia%2F%3Fp%3D9087
Yesterday’s big news out of the CTIA show — that the U.S. is now ahead of Europe in terms of mobile adoption and consumption — made me do a virtual double take. Anyone who has traveled abroad or follows telecom even remotely knows how advanced European and Asian consumers and businesses have been in terms of mobile usage.
It also set me wondering how much of a role social media plays in driving the American surge — which brought to mind this fantastic Fred Wilson quote, via Brian Solis:
- “I can’t remember who said it but at least I remember what was said: The three current big megatrends in the Web/tech sector are mobile, social, and real-time. I like to think of this as the golden triangle … The iPhone is the poster child of mobile. Facebook is the poster child of social. Twitter is the poster child of real-time. But it is what happens inside the golden triangle that is really interesting to me.”
All three poster children, of course, are U.S. companies.
And the growth doesn’t look like it’s stopping anytime soon. According to UTalkMarketing.com, “In the U.S., mobile social networkers will total 56.2 million by 2013, accounting for 45% of the mobile Internet user population.” It doesn’t take stats, though, to recognize that social networking is one of the fastest-growing activities among mobile users. Just look at our own habits: The instinct of smartphone users to upload to Facebook newly captured photos is practically knee-jerk.
But enough out of us — let’s hear from you.
Do you think that social media is driving developments in mobile? Are you demanding more out of your phone for social-networking purposes?
We welcome novice and expert opinions alike.
Image Credit, HelleM, via iStock
- How the power of celebrity can help your brand earn media
- Parsing the pros and cons of outsourcing social media
- Is the social media universe still expanding?
- How to improve social media marketing with video
- Top 10 social and digital predictions for 2013