By Andy Sernovitz on August 25th, 2009 | 98221 comments on this postAndy%27s+top+5+word-of-mouth+tips+for+restaurants+2009-08-25+11%3A57%3A26Andy+Sernovitzhttp%3A%2F%2Fsmartblogs.com%2Fsocialmedia%2F%3Fp%3D982
- Send them home with something. Send folks out of your restaurant with a unique doggy bag, a T-shirt, some dessert to share — anything that will help them tell the next people they see about you.
- Offer a secret menu item. Offer a dish or special drink that only insiders know about. It will not only make them feel special, but will also give them something to share with their friends.
- Put it on the wall. Put things on the wall that will encourage customers to bring their friends to show them. Try taking pictures of your best customers, having a “wall of fame,” or allowing them to use personalized mugs.
- Host special events. Find key groups of talkers and invite them to meet in your restaurant. Try hosting a quarterly gathering for wedding planners, or hosting meetings for groups that come together frequently, such as the Boy Scouts.
- Create a holiday. Whether you go all out for a traditional holiday or you create your own — bring people to your place for a celebration. White Castle came up with a great spin on Valentine’s Day by creating “Love Castle,” where folks are encouraged to make reservations and bring their significant others for a candlelit dinner.
Image credit, webphotographeer, via iStock
- 3 facts to stop you from wasting water
- Restaurants rising: Eating “food away from home” at home
- How to create a WOW customer experience
- Social loyalty programs pay off for retailers
- West Coast dominates top 5 of the top 50 restaurants in the U.S.